Thursday, October 7, 2010

Busch Gardens

This past weekend we decided to take advantage of the free day for military at Busch Gardens. When I was growing up that place was like my 2nd home, lol. My parents would get us passes and drop us off with our friends for a day there, usually a few times a week. I have missed Busch Gardens so much in the past 7+ years we have been away. I couldn't believe how much it had changed. They got rid of a few rides that were my favorites. I have so many memories of riding the Big Bad Wolf with my friends and family. I still remember my brother and I riding it and playing finger wrestling while riding it. It wasn't the scariest roller coaster when you got older so we found ways to make it more fun, lol. I remember when my sister was finally tall enough to ride it, lol. She had to wear boots with a heel, I can't remember how old she was but I know it was years older than we were when we could first ride it. She is a bit on the short side :) So it was a bit saddening to see they had taken it down instead of fixing it.

Now Katie and Jonathan had never been to an amusement park. The closest they had come was the traveling carnivals that came to Fort Riley. They were in complete awe, lol. They had so much fun riding all the rides. Jonathan's favorite was the train of course. He reminds me so much of Wesley when it comes to that. They both had/have an obsession with Thomas the Tank Engine, lol. And to make the train ride even better we actually got to ride on Thomas, aka the blue train, lol. When it comes to colors everything is associated with Thomas. Katie loved the kids roller coaster in the new sesame street kids section. That used to be where the petting zoo was. They also had a kids drop tower that she really enjoyed. Jonathan did get on the roller coaster but I don't think he was quite ready for it, lol. After that he wouldn't even think about getting on the drop tower.

Since we went during the Howl-O-Scream once nightfall hit it became all about halloween. They had people dressed up walking around, sometimes jumping out behind bushes and scaring people. I couldn't go in the first haunted house because it was filled with that fog stuff which is bad for my asthma so Dwayne took the kids. We went with his cousin Russell and his fiance' Brandy. So they all went while I sat out. I enjoyed sitting and watching the characters jump out and scare people, lol. Well I was sure that Katie and Jonathan would be so scared after that Haunted House that we would have to leave, I mean they are only 5 & 3. Well first thing out of Katie's mouth when they got out was she wanted to do it again, lol. Jonathan also enjoyed it. So we went and stood in an almost 2 hour line for 2 haunted houses and an outside haunted thing. One line for all 3. They were so good in that line, I was shocked, lol. Well they also enjoyed those. Katie would actually laugh when they tried to scare her and Jonathan screamed maybe two times, way less than the adults around us, lol. So I guess my kids are going to be into the scary halloween kind of things.

We had been telling them all day that on the way out they could get something. We didn't have the money to be buying them things all day long. Well Jonathan decided on the big sucker and Katie got cotton candy. Since it was after 10pm when we finally got in the van they were both passed out before they could enjoy all of their sweets, lol.

Even though I could only ride 2 rides, and one of them being a kiddie ride, lol, I enjoyed the day so much. It was so much fun to watch the joy on their faces, to hear their laughing. I don't think any ride could have been anymore fun than that.

Here are some pictures from that wonderful day!












We learned though you cannot do everything for howl-o-scream in one day! We got there when they opened and stayed until closing and still was only able to do about half the things. I look forward to next year when we have passes and can go all the time!

2 comments:

  1. wow looks like you guys had a great time!!! So glad to hear about the fun adventure and who knows next year we could be living there and go with you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be awesome Tara!! I still say you would like it here, a good mix of the north and south :)

    ReplyDelete