Friday, May 11, 2012

Military Spouse Appreciation Day

Today is Military Spouse Appreciation Day. While I do believe it is NOT easy to be a spouse to someone in the Military it is also "not the hardest job in the Army, Navy, Marines or Coast Guard".  I am sure all you Military spouses have seen those stickers. And they piss me off, to say the least. Really how is what we do harder than what our husbands/wives do? I know during my husband deployments it wasn't easy to pretty much be a single mom and be constantly worried about him. But at least I didn't have any bullets being shot at me or have to worry about driving over an IED on my way to the Commissary.

I get the idea behind it. I get that what we do isn't easy. It sucks to sit at home and wait, it really sucks to wonder if the day we said "see you in a year" will be the last day we saw our spouse. It sucks to have dinner on the table and get a call that some idiot lost some equipment and it will be hours before they get home. It sucks to have them miss Birthday's, Anniversaries, Christmases etc. It sucks to never be able to make concrete plans because you never know when they are going to be called back into work. I could go on and on about the stuff that sucks to be a Military Spouse, but all in all we live a safe life. We don't have to leave our family for months to years. We get to watch our kids grow up and not miss out on the important stuff. I truly believe the Soldier has the hardest job, not the spouse.

That said it is nice to have a day to be honored for what we do. If we didn't do what we do at home then our Soldiers wouldn't be able to do their job and concentrate on their mission. Now this is for the "good" military wives. We all know some that don't fit into this category. To those of us that keep the household up, keep our legs closed, keep everything in order so our husband's don't have to worry what is going on back home, I applaud you. I thank you today. If just one Soldier isn't able to concentrate on the mission it can put all the Soldier's in danger. So thank you for taking care of your family and putting your spouses mind at ease. Thank you for making sure that all of our spouses are safe.

Right now I am lucky to have my husband home, and believe me after 3 deployments I know just how lucky I am. But to those of you whose husbands/wives are deployed we are thinking of you today, and every day. And I pray that the time flies by for you and that your spouse returns home safely to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment